Friday

Alamo Heroes: "drunks, crooks and slaveholding imperialists". Wow!

I guess there are still some sour grapes floating around out there in Texas. The point is driven home in this quote from Rosie Castro the mother of San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro:

"They used to take us there when we were school children," Perez told the Times. "They told us how glorious that battle was. When I grew up, I learned that the 'heroes' of the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks and slaveholding imperialists who conquered land that didn't belong to them. But as a little girl I got the message (that) we were losers. I can truly say that I hate that place and everything it stands for."
I'm not sure how to respond to that one. I guess everyone is entitled to their insane opinions. For the original article click HERE.



1 comment:

  1. Rosie Castro clearly has a jaundiced view of the Battle of the Alamo. However, the simple and uncomplicated view of the Texas Revolution that is being advanced in this post is not fully accurate, either. History is complex, and the more you know about it, the more complex it becomes. You may disagree with Ms. Castro on the facts and the meaning of the Battle of the Alamo, but she's not insane. If you think she's wrong, the proper course of action is to point out exactly how she is wrong, using historiographical evidence and logic. I think this means, Southron, that you are committed to showing that the Battle of the Alamo was fought for reasons that have nothing to do with Anglo-American imperialism, that the men who fought at the Alamo were all plaster saints (not an alcoholic or slaverholder or imperialist among them), and that they didn't intend to conquer land that didn't belong to them. Naturally, there's a good argument to be made on that side of the fence, and I myself continue to venerate Jim Bowie, Davey Crockett and William Barrett Travis like a good Texas boy should. But I don't think Ms. Castro is insane, and I don't think the truth served by calling her names.

    ReplyDelete

Be respectful or be deleted. Your choice.