Tuesday

Torture probe just another distraction.


We will investigate, we won’t investigate and now of course we will investigate. The question is why the change and why now?

The answer is simple; the Obama administration is in need of another distraction. With public approval of his initiatives spiraling down the drain its time to dangle a carrot in the face of the American people in the hopes that they will be distracted long enough for Health Care reform and Cap and Trade to slither through unnoticed.

The following Newsweek article touches on the frivolity of this political witch hunt:

Will Holder’s ‘Reckoning’ on Detainee Abuse Fall Flat?
The AG appoints an investigator, but prosecutions are anything but certain.

Attorney General Eric Holder's decision to name a career prosecutor to investigate alleged CIA interrogation abuses would seem to fulfill a dramatic pledge he made last year when he was promoting the election of Barack Obama. "We owe the American people a reckoning," Holder said in a much-quoted speech that blasted the excesses of the Bush administration in its prosecution of the war on terror.

Why now? This issue reared its head earlier in Obama’s presidency and he seemed to have indicated then that they would not be seeking prosecution.

Why the change? Nothing more than a convenient distraction; cover, under which to slide through unpopular legislation while everyone’s attention is averted elsewhere.

But while Holder's move in choosing John Durham to probe agency abuses has roiled the intelligence community and infuriated Republicans on Capitol Hill, it is far from clear that such a "reckoning" will ever come. The investigation Holder has directed Durham to conduct is sharply circumscribed. It won't involve the conduct of senior Bush officials who approved waterboarding and other "enhanced" interrogation techniques. In a statement Monday, Holder said it won't endanger any CIA operatives who relied "in good faith" on controversial Justice Department memos that gave the green light to such practices.

Instead, it will involve a "review" of "less than a dozen" cases of alleged abuse by individual CIA operatives and contractors that took place years ago, according to a senior official who asked not to be identified talking about what is about to become a criminal investigation. The operatives are alleged to have violated the letter, if not the spirit, of those Justice Department memos. But Justice Department officials acknowledge that Durham's review may never result in any prosecutions. Indeed, virtually all of them were previously examined by a special Justice Department task force and rejected for prosecution due to a lack of witnesses and evidence. "These are hard cases," said the senior official.

The most striking revelation in this article is this: “But Justice Department officials acknowledge that Durham's review may never result in any prosecutions”. Then one has to ask why they are wasting taxpayer dollars and prosecutors time to pursue such a course.

This will hardly satisfy human rights advocates and others who say the startling alleged abuses unveiled Monday with the release of a long-suppressed CIA inspector general’s report require a far more fundamental probe of how the U.S. government lost its moral compass in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Lets recount: It is unlikely to result in prosecution, it is not going after the architects of the torture memos, and its not going to satisfy the human rights activists. That leaves only one other reason to do it.

"Simply anemic," said Anthony Romero, executive director of the ACLU about the scope of the new Justice probe.

I agree with Romero that it is “simply anemic”; it is the most anemic attempt, in a long line of attempts, to divert attention from Obama’s onerous, quasi-socialist legislation. I hope that the people see it for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be respectful or be deleted. Your choice.